Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Yogini's Journey - Part 2

I began my 40-Day Meditation Challenge on August 1st.  Ten minutes a day (it's usually in the evening) of "taking my seat". I choose a (music) track that is approximately 10 minutes. Light my beeswax candle. Wrap my mala beads around my wrist. Sit on my meditation pillow. Bring my hands on my knees to ground my practice. Close my eyes. And breathe. Sometimes I change hand positions. And yes, my mind does wander. But I'm improving at gently bringing it back to my breath. Sometimes 10 minutes goes by quickly. It's do-able and so far I'm enjoying it. It's good to have a moment of centering. Of being motionless. Of not "going" anywhere. Of just being.

I have maintained a steady yoga practice for a few years now.  I really do enjoy it. I have to admit that some days it's more difficult to be motivated. But five minutes into my practice, and I forget all about it. The biggest obstacle in yoga is stepping on your mat. 

My first yoga class was in CEGEP in 1994. In my second year of University, I started practicing it (thanks Rachel!). Then, it slowly became an "activity" that I did on a weekly basis or so. And then, with time and interest, it blossomed into a "practice". I have not only reaped the physical and mental benefits of yoga: flexibility, balance, strength, endurance (try keeping Warrior 2 for 10 breaths!), awareness, clarity, calmness, etc, ; but also improved as Jen.

In my case, it took years before I started to notice the difference. Only now can I say that I have greater patience and awareness, am more open to change, and accept things as they are. I also catch myself bringing presence when I do everyday meaningless tasks, such as unlocking the door, walking up the stairs, chopping veggies.
Margot at 3 weeks doing Supta Baddha Konasasa (reclined bound angle)
 

2 comments:

  1. Fanf would love it if I could take a leaf out of your calm and gentle book. One day I'll have a proper go... your journey is very inspiring. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. she still has those little fat folds under her knees!! :)

    ReplyDelete