Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rediscovering a Songwriter

Listen to this song:


There are a few versions of Tom's Diner, but I chose the original Acapella one.

Ah! Suzanne Vega! What a fascinating singer, songwriter, and storyteller. Her sound is simple. Her lyrics filled with interesting stories. She appears to be very grounded and friendly.

I am unfamiliar with her new recordings. In fact, I only own one of her albums, Nine Objects of Desire (1996) , and her book "The Passionate Eye: The Collected Writings Of Suzanne Vega" (1999) ; a volume of poems, lyrics, essays and journalistic pieces.

Tom's Diner is the perfect strolling-in-the-rain song.
It reminds me of a Edward Hopper painting:



An interesting fact (which I just read about): The diner Suzanne is singing about is Tom's Restaurant, located at 112th Street and Broadway in NYC. The same diner was used for exterior shots on Seinfeld.



1 comment: