Margot loves dancing and I believe (or I'd like to) that she has a natural awareness in movement and musicality.
This is a typical pre-bedtime evening routine at our house:
(Need I mention that she picks her costume?)
I have a secret wish: I want Margot to gravitate towards the arts: dance, music, theatre, writing, visual arts. Any of those would do just fine!
I think that having a creative outlet allows people to be in touch with their emotions and authenticity It also allows them to belong to a "group", surrounded by like-minded people. Furthermore, it offers them a chance to create and to find their place in this world, which is sometimes so overwhelming.
I'm fast-forwarding to the future tween and teen years and deeply wish for Margot to have a passion in which she feels she belongs and can devote her energy and time to her art (instead of going shopping and playing video games). I want her to be excited about something! I want her to care.
I believe that, as a parent, you expose your child to the activities that you value and cherish. Margot is still young, but I'll do my best to encourage that the arts (in all its shapes and forms) are present in our lives. It shouldn't be too challenging ;)
Great post - found myself nodding along to everything you said and like you, quite honestly, I'd love the kids to be artsy. Though I do have to remind myself that maths and science are also creative in their own way, and that as long as my kids have a passion (even if it isn't my passion) then that's ok. Cos it's ok to be passionate about maths right, that's not totally weird??! ;)
ReplyDeleteBravo to Margot for the recital, and a most gracefully executed bow. And lots of luck for the exam - I'm sure you'll do great!
Much love xxx