Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thoughts on a Thursday: Recipes

Sometimes recipes just don't work!
Is it worth spending ones time in the kitchen for an hour (or even more!), only to create a disappointed meal? Nope.
I started making a list of foolproof recipes.
This reminds me of the following quote from Jeannette Walls' The Glass Castle:
Mom didn't like cooking much - "Why spend the afternoon cooking a meal that will be gone in an jour", she'd ask us, "when in the amount of time, I can do a painting that will last forever?" 


2 comments:

  1. I loved that quote too! I can't be bothered with anything that takes longer that half an hour or has more than 6 ingredients. You should look at the BBc Good Food website http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/, it's where I get most of my recipes, many of them super easy, and they have helpful comments by real people who have to cook real meals every day.

    Bxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved and hated The Glass Castle! ;)

    Most days quick meals work best for us too, but Rich and I enjoy food a great deal, it's one of our passions, so now and then, we do put some time in and make something more interesting/special. We never, ever regret it, and creating magic in the kitchen is a way to have exciting new experiences right at home, which is important to us now that Asher is in our lives!

    ReplyDelete