Last weekend, Simon and I went to a Roller Derby Game. I never knew what Roller Derby was until I saw the movie Whip It!. I was then intrigued and did a bit of internet research. We do have a league in Ottawa: The Rideau Valley Roller Girls.
It wasn't as chaotic and aggressive as I thought it would be. Actually, it was quite orderly and the contact rules are very strict. It almost looked amicable for a competitive sport. It's great to see a bunch of women of varying ages and sizes having fun on the "rink". There is a nice camaderie between the players, even towards the opposing team.
I think it would be a sport that I would be drawn to if I was a really good skater.
NOTES:
-It's a child-friendly place. Lots of kids running around and playing with balloons. Also, the popcorn is 50cents! Nothing is 50 cents nowadays!
-It gets hot in the arena. Do not wear a wool sweater.
-Bring a lawn chair and sit on the slab (on the ice). It's more comfortable than the bleechers and you are closer to the action.
-The games don't start on time.
-The only way to truly understand the sport is to see it.
If I were a Roller Derby Girl, my name would be Sassy Girl and my number 1977 ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment