I went to a yoga class this morning at 7:45 a.m. It was perfect! Even though I practice yoga on a (almost) daily basis, I don't regularly attend a class at a studio. Reasons why: time, time, time. Ok, I know "time" is a lame excuse, but when you count the getting there/getting ready/ getting out of class/ driving home, a yoga class can become a two-hour + ordeal. I'm at a point in my life when time is a luxury. It's so much more convenient to practice at home with
Yoga Today. For those who don't know Yoga Today, you have to check them out! I have been practicing yoga with Neesha, Adi and Sarah for a few years now. Depending on my mood, I can choose an Ashtanga class with Adi, an Anusara with Neesha, a Kundalini with Sarah, and so much more!
Another reason why I haven't committed to a weekly studio yoga practice is because I haven't found a teacher that really speaks to me. That I can connect to. I'm quite particular when it comes to teachers. A mediocre/average teacher just won't do it for me. I need someone who is inspiring, knowledgeable, and humble. Furthermore, the qualities of compassion, care and wisdom are necessary. I also need a teacher who does hands-on adjustments, creates interesting sequences, and who brings out the spiritual aspect of yoga (meditation, pranayama, mantra, "om").
Another consideration is the studio. I like an easy-in, easy-out studio. Easy parking; easy signing up; not too crowded change-rooms and welcoming area; polite staff. Ottawa is bombarded with yoga studios of all sizes. I have tried many. But I haven't found my perfect spot yet...
 |
| Paris 2008 - YogaWorks Teacher Training. (i'm second to the right, wearing a green tank top and a brown headband) |
 |
| Paris 2008- the Anjaliom Yoga Studio is on the top floor. (notice the purple sign at the door) and no, that isn't my red scooter ;) |
 |
| San Fran 2009 - dancer's pose in Golden Gate Park. Drop my bag, strike a pose! |
As you noticed, I added Part 1 to this post, meaning that I have a lot more to say about the matter!
I know nothing about yoga so I'm looking forward to future parts. I love that last photo :) xxx
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you find a good teacher/studio. I've been thinking I should get back to it, but don't know where to go...
ReplyDeleteBex, you can bet that I'll be writing more about yoga.
ReplyDeleteNicole, I'll keep you in the loop. Sometimes, having too many options is overwhelming!