Whenever I think of women having a space to create/reflect/dream, I'm drawn back to Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own in which she states: "a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction".
In my case, my "sanctuary" isn't to write fiction, but to practice yoga.
I have my own yoga space in my house. Everything I need is there: my dvd's, my props, my candle, a window, even my yoga clothes. I use it daily, whether for a 90-minute weekend practice or a 15-minute evening meditation.
Sometimes I wish it was more of a "sacred space", away from the kitchen sounds and from the high/mid-traffic area of our house. But that's not the reality. And since it's such a part of who I am, I didn't want to have my yoga room tucked away in our darkened basement or our cluttered office upstairs. This is really the best spot for it. I'm the only one who uses it as a yoga room, but Margot passes through many times a day, grabbing a few dvd's she can throw around, chewing on my purple block, dropping a few slices of cheese or blueberries. Thanks for the presents and the mess, little one ;)
* my 2011 Monthly Reading List. Stay tuned for future posts.
A sanctuary. Such a good idea. If only! I have neither money, nor a room. My sanctuary is whatever book I happen to be reading... X
ReplyDeleteBex, your sanctuary is your mind where words, characters and ideas overflow... Such a beautiful place!
ReplyDeleteJen xox