Saturday, August 1, 2015

Moment with Margot : Day Camps

These last few weeks, Margot attended three day camps (1 full day and 2 half-days).
Even though I'm off in the summer, I knew I needed i) time to work on my upcoming fall courses and ii) overall Jen time (yoga, reading, tea with friends) . Great decision!! This was Margot's first camp experiences and it is definitely to be repeated in future summers.

Those who know me, know that I like to look at all the options available, do a bit of research and create pros and cons charts. I did all of that and it was a success!
It's really easy (and economically sound) to dump your child at the local city-run day camp, but I didn't want that.  Not only did I want Margot to focus on a skill, but I also placed a lot of emphasis on the environment of where the camp was held.



1. Dance Camp. Theme of the week "Magic Fairies" at The School of Dance.
Why?
-Beautiful building with many studios, hallways art galleries, reputable teachers.
-Organized schedule of outdoor-time, art, storytelling, music appreciated (live pianist) and of course, dance.
-A performance for parents on Friday. Very impressed!
-It sells out quite fast


(Margot especially liked one of the assistants, who was really pretty because she was smiley and had long dark hair)







2. Gymnastics Camp at the Ottawa Gymnastics Centre.  Half-day.
Why?
-close to our house.
-a reputable centre and wanted to try it.
-half-day option was appealing.

A loud environment, but Margot really enjoyed it.



3. Yoga Camp at PranaShanti Yoga Centre. Half-day.
Why?
-the environment.
-no yoga is ever a waste of time. I was hoping that she would be exposed to calm music, to poses, to yogic philosophy (for kids). I was not disappointed!
The instructor was fantastic and the environment was soothing and inviting.
Margot told me this was her favourite camp (probably because it's her latest one).
She learned about chakras, did a breathing/meditation sparkling jar, and announced to me that yoga was born in India, where a lot of people live.


I have one more camp on the calendar: a Montessori Art camp at her school in late August (when I return to work).


1 comment:

  1. You are so organised and methodical!! Love the red fairy costume. Day camps are a great idea, I don't think they really exist here, though I may have to check that... there are weekly ones but they tend to be quite expensive so our tribe didn't get to do any this summer. Maybe next year we'll send them over to you ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete