Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Season of Appreciation

I am having a sumptuous (yes, I know!) morning. Fall is in the air. Simon and Margot are spending father-daughter quality time out of the house. I just finished an inspiring yoga class with the insightful Elena Bower (on yogaglo)  I chose the 60 minutes"Welcoming Fall" class.  The pace was slower than I'm used to, ah! but what delight it gave me! A few restorative poses, then lunges, a creative sun flow, beautiful openings and time… Time to listen to one's breath. Time to sit still. Time to absorb Elena's guiding words. Time to plant the seeds for this new season.

I associate fall as a go-go-go season. After a "slacking" summer, it's time to get back on track; time for a routine; time to actively get things done. However, fall is really about starting to slow down; to look more inwards; to notice; to ground; to start tapping into your creativity juices. To pause and to smile :)

Fall is a rich season. I find it difficult to slow down when it's a time of year that is usually quite energetic for me (mostly because I'm back in the swing of things). Also, when the weather is beautiful, I appreciate it twice as more and itch to spend time outside, dreading the forth coming winter (how long will it be this year?).
Enjoying our morning hike


Here's our seasonal Family Manifesto:

We went Apple Picking this weekend.
Great snap of Margot's missing tooth!

No bushels this year. You are given a bag (you choose the size) to fill.



We were a bit late in the apple picking season
(we usually go the 3rd weekend of Sept.) and
we were limited in the choice of apples. Cortland it was!

"This is the best day ever!!!" Margot exclaimed at the apple orchard
(eating an apple-flavoured hot dog made it extra special!)

Bite into fall! Enjoy the sunshine and the crisp air. Get out there and explore! But also take moments to connect to yourself and your loved ones; to take it easy; to appreciate.


2 comments:

  1. Love this post. You have perfectly captured the strange dichotomy of autumn. I completely relate to the burst of energy, I always feel September to be a new beginning (still stuck in the academic year I suppose!), and weatherwise, like you say, it is the best time of year for getting out and about. But also it heralds the snoozy winter months. Maybe that's why the autumn energy is so great, you know you're going to get to snuggle up and hibernate just afterwards :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so great! *I* want an apple-flavoured hot dog! We're going to try to go apple-picking this weekend, though the weather forecast doesn't look anywhere near as nice as your photos show!

    ReplyDelete