You walk a bit slower in Maui… (maybe it's because everyone wears flip flops ;)
It's always a bit challenging writing a post after a trip. There's so much I want to share: pictures, thoughts, observations… Where do I start?
FORMAT of TRIP:
- We only stayed on the island of Maui. Why did we choose that one? Because it seemed like it was the most varied in terms of beaches, hikes, and things to do with Margot. It's also not as touristy as Oahu (Honolulu, Waikiki Beach).
- 10 full days.
- Approximately 13-hour flight from Toronto (12-hour for the return flight).
- We rented a car. An awesome hatchback silver Nissan Versa (my next car!)
- Accommodation: 5 nights at a rented cottage (VRBO) in the North/Upcountry of the island, 3 nights at a condo on the West side of the island. (plus, our first night at a motel near the airport)
AWESOME!
The Beaches
The beaches are absolutely stunning! They look exactly like the ones you see in guidebooks and on posters. Soft sand, blue water, infinite horizon. The waves are constant and merciless.
We went snorkelling and saw many tropical fish and corals! When exposed to this underwater world, steps from the beach, you can't help but feel this world bursting with colour and life. I have a new-found appreciation for marine life.
| pic taken at the Maui Marine Centre Some of the fish we saw while snorkelling at Kapula Bay |
| pic taken at the Maui Marine Centre (a.k.a the Aquarium) |
The Vegetation
One of the things that I was looking forward to was seeing lush vegetation. Maui didn't deceive me!
We went on a few really nice hikes upcountry and saw some beautiful trees, plants and flowers.
Hidden gem on the Waihoe Spring Trail
Burst of vibrancy!
(Gingers)
(Gingers)
Interesting shapes
(Heliconias)
(Heliconias)
Nature playing with the colour palette
(Bird of Paradise - a type of Heliconias)
(Bird of Paradise - a type of Heliconias)
Giant leaves
Fun texture
Iao Valley
Breadfruit (looks like limes)
Firecracker
(Scarlet Stamens - Bottlebrushes)
(Scarlet Stamens - Bottlebrushes)
The official flower of Maui
(yellow Hibiscus)
(yellow Hibiscus)
Papaya tree in our backyard
Banana tree in our backyard
The smell of the yellow gingers is intoxicating!
(this is a ginger too)
(this is a ginger too)
Delicate
Plumerias
Plumerias
Pink Plumerias
Fun Moments
Swimming in a waterfall on the Road to Hana (a costal, winding road with 600 curves and 54 one-lane bridges)
Eating out-of-the-oven banana bread from Auntie Sandy's Best Banana Bread Stand (on the Road to Hana)
What do you do on the afternoon of your 10:45pm flight? Why, go to the movies! (The Hawaiians groaned at a joke made about Hawaiian pizza).
Watch a free Polynesian Dance show at the mall. (we saved $300!)
Eating shaved ice. Let's get one thing straight: this isn't a snow cone with crushed ice. There's a big scoop of ice cream at the bottom, finely shaved ice drenched in three delicious flavours, with a drizzle of sweet coconut milk. Delicious!!!!
Enjoying a typical meal: 2 scoops of sticky white rice, a scoop of macaroni salad and meat. I had the Aloha mixed plate, which consisted of the above + island grilled fish, shoyu chicken and teriyaki beef.
Simon had the Laulau - pork, beef and taro wrapped in luau and ti leaves (you don't eat the leaves).
Cheers! Finally: a Mai Tai (I preferred Simon's Nutty Mango)
Feeling free and small, surrounded by so much nature!
Our visit to Haleakala (The House of the Sun), Maui's dormant volcano.
It took us about an hour to drive up (the car was on low gear all the way down). Luckily, it was a clear day and we had a beautiful view of the crater (it's usually cloudy). We decided to hike a bit in the crater. Warning: it takes you twice as long to make your way back.
| this reminds me of Iceland |
| We're above the clouds! |
| Sliding Sands hiking path (you can see it really well behind us). Margot is snacking on M&Ms - they give her energy ;) |
| A land of lava (which is super light!) |
| Simon's awesome jump! |
| That's high. |
| Eagle Pose at the summit |
Me and my girl with flowers in our hair!
Aloha!
Hawaii is one of my favourite-eat places! We have gone to Kauai in the past, but will consider a future visit to Maui. Mahalo for the beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteSabrina
Wow, the flowers!!! I'd go just for the flowers. It looks like paradise. As I'm pretty sure this is the closest I'll ever get to Maui, thank you for taking me on a vicarious trip, I had a great time :)
ReplyDeleteMuch love xxx
Anywhere else you want to be sent? :)
DeleteSimon
Sensational! A break well-deserved, no doubt!
ReplyDeleteAhhh, I'm filled with Aloha spirit just looking at your photos! I'm so happy that you had a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Jen :) I love your blog. I feel like I need to comment on this particular entry because like you, we LOVE Maui. Mike and I got married there and we plan on returning next spring for our 10 year anniversary and showing the kids the beach we got married at. I agree with everything you wrote, once you have been there you are changed. I was raving about it to my parents for years and when they finally went they came back changed and followed that trip with buying retirement land in Panama, lol. I think this is why I love living in California, with its tropical flair, surfer attitude, vegetation, sunshine and pacific it reminds me a bit of Maui (except it is much faster paced here in the Valley). Loved your pictures. XOX Gaby
ReplyDelete