Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Theatrical Experience

It may sound silly and irresponsible that my exclusive  reason for going to NYC this weekend was to see the production Sleep No More by London's Punchdrunk theatre company, but I just had to experience it for myself. And what an INCREDIBLE experience it was!
Words cannot do it justice. You will need to talk/write/call me if you wish more details. Meanwhile, you can check this out:
about the theatre company:http://punchdrunk.com
about the show I saw: http://sleepnomorenyc.com

I went with Simon (who was very brave!) and we experienced two completely different plays. That is what is so awesome about this immersive theatre. No two experiences will be alike and it is impossible to see the play it its entity and in a linear way (i love that!)
As an audience member, you need to make decisions about where to go. A bit like life; you can only be present one moment at a time.
Curiosity, boldness, vitality (and good shoes!)  are all required to enjoy and partake in this highly atmospheric and physical theatre experience.

It made me fall in love with this art form again. How exciting theatre can be! It reminded me of why I loved theatre in the first place: for its daring, emotional, bold experience. Furthermore, how, during a performance it can grab you and swirl you on a personal journey, and when the lights come on at the end, you just want to discuss, express, decorticate your experience with others. Oh! How it brought excitement and youth to life!

To have sparkles in your eyes and not feel how tired your feet are after walking/running 2.5 hours during the production (plus another previous 6 hours exploring the city): that's the sign of something special.

3 comments:

  1. So happy you were as blown away as I was by Punchdrunk. Their immersion theatre is exciting, stimulating, disturbing, envigorating, unique. Can't to hear more about it. Bxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Also relieved, would have felt slightly guilty if I'd encouraged you to go all the way to NY for Punchdrunk and you'd hated it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly what Bex said! I am SOOO happy you loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete