Have you ever had tears streaming down your face while reading a short story?
Jhumpa Lahiri has done it again! A few years ago, I read her latest collection of short stories, Unaccustomed Earth. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to read her debut collection and Pulitzer Prize winner, Interpreter of Maladies.
What an effect it had on me!
Here's a review from the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/08/06/books/books-of-the-times-liking-america-but-longing-for-india.html
As with all short stories, you have your favourites and I got into the habit of jotting down a one- sentence summary on the Contents page to refresh my memory in the on-chance that I pick up the book in the future. I also added a 3-star rating system.
A short story can take you on such an emotional journey! You get a glimpse into the lives of these oh-so-ordinary individuals and, in the course of only a few pages, you care for them and feel that you know them so well. You are a witness to their humanity, to their struggles, to their vulnerabilities.
Lahiri writes simply with such delicate and precise language. Beauty and humanity resonate in her characters!
Perhaps I really like her stories because they are character-driven and I can visualize them (and dramatize them in my head) as one-act plays ;)
You're right, short stories are an amazing art form. Thanks for the recommendation. Bx
ReplyDelete