Thursday, July 25, 2013

Our New Addition to the Family


There's a story. There's always a story.
This was my aunt's and uncle's piano. My grandmother offered a piano to both of her children decades ago. I think it was when they bought their houses... or when they got married?...
Anyways...
This piano, apparently, was a used piano from the NAC orchestra (probably a rehearsal piano). It dates back to the 1910's and was made in Ottawa.
My aunt is doing major house renovations and has decided not to keep the piano in her new living area decor. I'm now the new owner! It works well even without tuning. But not to worry, I have a tuner coming over in two weeks to do the job. I love the feel of the keys. I've been playing on a digital piano these last 8 years or so and I really notice a difference. I can really dig into my Romantic-era pieces.

By placing it in Margot's main floor area, I'm hoping I will play more. It's not tucked away in a corner and therefore is very accessible (a few scales here and there while waiting for the water to boil). And yes, I am planning in getting back into piano playing and taking lessons to keep me on track.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely story and a lovely gift. With a history like that the piano really will bring a new life to your family. Without the sleepless nights and endless nappies to change - brilliant!

    ...why didn't we think of that .... ;)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete