Winter with a toddler (i.e. Margot) is tough!
It takes ages to bundle her up to affront the winter . Snowpants. Boots. Tuque. Boots are kicked off. Boots. Tuque is pulled off. Coat. Zip up. Tuque. There goes her boots again! Mitts? I'm not even attempting mitts.
Needless to say, it is a struggle. Then, I have to get dressed. I still haven't figured out if it's easier for the parent to get dressed before or after the child.
Yesterday afternoon, we went on a nice family walk around our neighborhood. The sun was out; the air was friendly; it wasn't too cold. We placed Margot in the jogging stroller (SUV of strollers) . She had a lot of room for her extra blankets, books, and dried apricots in her little tupperware. Quite a nice ride! It would be more seasonal to put her in her orange plastic sleigh and pull her, but there's not enough room in there for all her stuff and it doesn't cover her face (just in case she gets cold).
| Shoveling with a rake is really efficient! |
This is crazy! B.M.*, Simon and I used to go for a walk almost everyday (even in winter!). Aren't the best walks the ones right before you go to bed,; you get energized and then sleep so well? At around 9:00pm or so, even on a really cold evening, you lace up your boots, pull your tuque to cover your ears, and go for an evening stroll (and spy in people's houses)?
And nowadays, walking (and we're talking here, just around our neighborhood and for about 40 minutes) has become such a big deal, requiring so much energy. It's so much simpler to stay in.
*B.M.: Before Margot
On Saturday evening, we had a nice family moment of sitting in the living and reading on the couch. All three of us. Margot did get up once in awhile to run to her room to get books, but I'm quite impressed by her concentration ability! I had to capture that moment on camera. Yes, we were posing for that picture, but prior to it, we were reading for a good twenty minutes. I think that it's important to read to your child, but most importantly, that your child sees you read.
Ah, winter walks! Something I miss from living in 'winter Canada'. I must say thought, it's faster and less work to go out for a warm, rainy walk (even with a stroller) than a frosty or frigid one. The stakes just aren't as high if you don't get all the layers on!
ReplyDeleteSabrina
Are the twinkle lights a permanent addition to the decor, or are they just still up from Christmastime? ;)
ReplyDeleteI wish they were a permanent addition. I convinced Simon to keep them until February 1st.
ReplyDelete